Director of Size of Wales
“My experience of being a mentor to Eleanor has been very rewarding and I have learned so much.
When we met, I realised that the best way I could support Eleanor was to be a friend and to discuss ideas and new possibilities. We scrapped the formal mentoring approach and moved to a more informal and friendly way of interacting.
What I have learned about from being a mentor and from Eleanor:
- giving up control and letting others lead
- not being the expert and being the one who knows nothing, and being fine with that
- adjusting the pace to that which suits everyone
- scrapping the rules and doing what felt was right
- really listening
- understanding my own limitations and lack of knowledge and doing something to address that
- being considerate of other’ needs and caring for them
These are all good interpersonal skills that I will take away with me which is important but not as important as the relationship I have developed with Eleanor.
That is priceless and I feel genuinely very honoured that she put faith and trust in me. That has grown my confidence and I feel so happy that I met Eleanor and we became friends”.